Eligible U.S. Citizenship Status
The Office of Financial Aid and Student Employment gives full financial aid consideration to United States citizens and eligible non-citizens. Eligible non-citizens include permanent residents, refugees and asylees. Eligible non-citizens must provide documentation of permanent residency or citizenship status. Original documents must be provided to our office for review. Acceptable forms of documentation include:
- Resident Alien Card (I-551)
- Arrival/Departure Record (I-94) with the temporary I-551 stamp that has not expired
When applicable, documentation will be sent to USCIS (US Citizenship and Immigration Services) for review and determination of eligibility for federal student aid.
Important information for students with a pending U.S. permanent residency status
Prospective Students/Incoming New Students:
- Must document permanent residency by the admission deposit deadline. If you will not be able to document permanent residency status, apply for financial aid as an international student.
- If granted permanent residency later in the academic year, you will be considered for William D. Ford Loan and Federal Pell Grant only. Be sure to submit a complete continuing student financial aid application and apply for full financial aid for the following academic year.
- Must document permanent residency before the start of the semester.
- If documentation is provided before the start of the fall semester, then you will be considered for Cornell and federal aid funding for the academic year.
- If documentation comes in after the start of fall semester but before the beginning of the spring semester, you will be considered for the William D. Ford and Federal Pell Grant for the fall semester and reviewed for eligibility for all sources of aid for the spring semester.
- If documentation comes in after the start of spring semester, you will be considered for the William D. Ford Loan and Federal Pell Grant only. You can submit a complete continuing student financial aid application and apply for full financial aid during the following academic year.